Friday, November 28, 2008

Bright Hub

Brite Hub is science based writing forum. They pay $10 per article plus a share of generated revenue. The articles written for BH are generally between 300 and 750 words.

I have mixed emotions about BH. First of all, I have obviously been hired to write for the Education Channel. I have not written for them yet and probably won't because the Managing Editor of the Education Channel is basically worthless.

I don't usually slam individual people here, but I have to say she is absolutely clueless and careless. She doesn't follow through or follow up. I had to practically harass her and ended up going through the Contact Us button to even get a first response from her. I was accepted, filled out all of the paperwork, read all of the tips and information about writing for BH, and was excited and ready to write, so I emailed her and asked what now? BH Channels all operate differently. Some ME's suggest articles for you to write. Some ME's want you to suggest articles. The ME's assign writers to CE (Contributing Editors). Obviously, you can't start writing until you hear from your ME. Mine is either overworked or not organized or is just plain lazy, I'm not sure which one she is, but the fact remains, she's whines about being overworked, but doesn't get new writers on board. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt since I had heard so many wonderful things about BH, but then another writer that belongs to a writer's forum that I belong to, said they had the exact same experience. We compared notes, and discovered that my experience with the Education Channel was the norm.

Now, as I said, I have mixed emotions, because I know people who write for other channels and absolutely love it. There are two members of our writer's forum who are CE's in other channels in BH and I know they are very organized, talented people. There are other members of the forum that write for these two particular channels as well as other channels (not the Education Channel) and they all have nothing but positive things to say about BH. So, I can't help but believe that the problem child of BH is the Education Channel and it is just in that channel.

My suggestion would be to try Bright Hub. I believe that most of the channels have a very positive outlook and I know the writers and CE's are happy there. I will say avoid the Education Channel at all costs. You will not have a happy experience and it just may sour you on the rest of the site.

No comments: