Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Associated Content

I have not published on AC, so I'm going to give you my impressions as somebody who did submit an article, but chose to not publish it.

I wrote and article on Nanowrimo in the middle of October. Since Nanowrimo is during the month of November, I thought the timing would be perfect. However, it took over three weeks for my article to be reviewed and accepted. To add insult to injury, I was offered a measly 99 cent upfront payment. Needless to say I didn't even bother to dignify that offer with a response. I'm not going to sell my writing to anybody for such a little amount of money. I do have some dignity and I am a professional writer. Don't get me started on how wannabe writers accept peanuts for their work, which makes it hard for those of us who really do know how to write to make a decent wage. But then again, you get what you pay for and I see clients whining all the time about the quality of writing they are getting!

Now that I've gotten distracted...I'll get back on topic. AC does pay for page views. I believe this is where most of the money is made. I know a girl who is doing great on AC. She loves writing for them, and she is making really good money. She is a great writer though, and puts A LOT of time and effort into it.

I do want to say that my personal belief is that AC used to pay better upfront fees, but now that so many people are trying to get into freelance writing, they aren't paying as well, because they know they will always have writers who will accept less than a dollar for their work.

My conclusions on AC are this, some people love it and make really good money off of them, some people hate it, and have had experiences similar to mine. So, I'd recommend you check them and decide if you can live with their terms. If you choose not to write for them, at least go read some of the articles there. They do have some very talented writers writing for them and you can find articles on almost any subject.

No comments: